Students at Ponte Vedra High School are permitted to participate in student government so long as they meet all necessary requirements. Each grade level (9th, 10th, 11th, & 12th) will have five student-elected representatives on their Class Committee; each grade’s class committee will be sponsored by a PVHS faculty/staff member(s). It is the duty of each committee to organize and promote activities that pertain to their class as well as plan general school events for students (i.e. Homecoming, spirit week, etc.)
Furthermore, each elected representative will also partake in PVHS’s Student Government Council. The “Council” is the combined body of all student-elected representatives; it too will be sponsored by a PVHS faculty/staff member(s). The Council’s purpose is to provide a sense of cohesiveness amongst the class committees, and to function as an outlet for student government service-related projects (i.e. clothing/food drives, etc.).
The Responsibilities of a PVHS Government Officer
- Attend all Class Committee meetings and Student Government Council meetings
- Work in a collaborate and respectful manner with one’s fellow officers. Each class committee advisor(s) will work with their class committee to make decisions on leadership / officer positions.
- Assist in the planning, advertising, set up / clean up, & overall logistics for class sponsored events
- Assist in the selling of tickets (if necessary) for class sponsored events (i.e. Homecoming)
- Assist in the service related projects of student government
- Promote the interests of one’s class in an appropriate manner
- Maintain communication and respectful dialogue with the faculty sponsors and school administration
Failure to follow through with the responsibilities of a PVHS government officer may result in a student’s removal from PVHS Student Government. Remember, you are choosing to run for student government, if you don’t believe you will have the time or passion to be involved in student government by all means step aside and let others participate.
PVHS Student Government is not about adding a line to your resume for college, it’s about serving your class and the school.
Eligibility & Election Protocol
The STUDENT CANDIDATE AND PARENT AGREEMENT, the APPLICATION FORM, and the REFERENCE SHEET (all documents are found in this packet) need to be signed and turned in on or before Friday, August 19, 2022 in order to participate in the PVHS Student Government election.
In order to be an eligible candidate for PVHS Student Government a student must . . .
- be a student at Ponte Vedra High School
- receive an adult reference / recommendation – excluding one’s parent(s)/guardian(s)
- fully complete and turn in all required documents (i.e. Student Candidate and Parent Agreement, Application Form, Reference Sheet) by the due date
- be in good disciplinary standing with the school
- AND (only applicable to students running for re-election) – demonstrated the responsibilities of a PVHS officer the previous year. Again, this does not apply to freshmen candidates or non-incumbent students.
The final decision on student eligibility will be determined by the PVHS Student Government faculty sponsor(s). Any student deemed ineligible for competing in the election will be notified in writing with an explanation for the denial.