Good evening Shark Families:
Welcome to the New Year! We certainly hope that you enjoyed time with family and friends over the winter break.
As we begin the second semester, our efforts turn towards course requests and building a Master Schedule for the 2023-2024 school year. Please review all the information below carefully. This email will be sent again on 01-13-2023 and 01-20-2023.
There are some important changes we want families to be aware:
- Any and all schedule changes must be received and corrected before the start of school (08-10-2023). In past years, counselors were available during the first five days of school. This will not be the case in the 2023-2024 school year. No schedule request modifications will be accepted after the first day of school when students receive their final schedule in homeroom, unless there is an inadvertent mistake.
- It is important for families to choose a balanced and appropriate course load. Students will be permitted to modify their course schedule after the first twenty (20) school days if and only if the following conditions have been met:
- Receiving a current grade of D/F.
- Parent/Teacher conference regarding student progress in the course.
- Student has sought additional help from the teacher and other school resources.
Our Guidance Team:
- Ms. Haley Jasper, Assistant Principal overseeing Guidance
- Mrs. Ashlee Henderson, Registrar
- Dr. Mary Rose Kaplan (A-ED)
- Mrs. Kimberly Grillo (EF-LEA)
- Ms. Karin Nagai-Crim (LEB-RES)
- Dr. Bernadine Dorantes (RES-Z)
It is important that students with their parents review course requests to ensure that course selection is accurate. There will not be an opportunity once school starts to make any additional adjustments. NOTE: Dates below are tentative and may need to be adjusted. Please look for further communication regarding 23/24 course selection.
- Teachers will make recommendations for student course requests (01-20-2023).
- Course requests will be sent to families on or before January 27, 2023.
- Students with their parents will be able to make adjustments to courses requested.
- Course Request Forms must be completed and returned during student registration which will begin on February 2, 2023 through the ELA classes.
- Subsequent to spring break, parents and students will be able to view course requests for the 23/24 school year in HAC. Any requests for schedule modification must be received by April 28, 2023. We will not accept any further course requests/modifications after this date.
- Draft schedules will be released in mid-July. Once schedules are released, we will not accept requests for the purpose of teacher change, change of elective or lunch period, or period change. We work extremely hard to provide blended and modified schedules that fit the needs of our students. We cannot guarantee that modified or blended periods will be at the beginning or end of the day.
- After tentative schedules are released, we will be accepting requests for modifications until July 25, 2023. NOTE: We typically receive between 400-700 requests. It is not feasible to reply to each request received. However, please know that we will address appropriate requests as they are received.
- Approximately one week prior to the start of school, schedules will be released a second time.
- The five day window prior to the start of school will open for any additional change requests.
- Students will receive their final schedule on the first day of school in homeroom. No further requests for changes will be accepted, unless there is an inadvertent mistake.
- Advanced Placement Courses: AP Courses are the most rigorous offered at Ponte Vedra High School. Please take great care in selecting these courses and the number of AP courses taken in any given year. Our website has information regarding course expectations at: https://www-pvhs.stjohns.k12.fl.us/apinfo/
- Modified Schedule: A modified schedule can be requested by students who wish to take less than seven (7) courses. This option is only available to seniors provided that they have met all graduation requirements (to include courses currently requested). Requests for a modified schedule can be made on the course request form and must be received no later than April 28, 2023.
- Blended Schedule: A blended schedule can be requested by students who wish to take a blend of on campus courses and online courses through FLVS or SJVS. This option is open to all students. Students are permitted to take up to three (3) courses virtually.
Please feel free to reach out to your child’s counselor with any questions or concerns. Thank you.